White Sourdough Bread
- 350g of water
- 500g of bread flour
- 50g of sourdough starter, fed near it's peak
- 6-10g of salt
- Feed starter, have ready for 4pm
- @ 4pm, place ingredients in a metal bowl, vigerously mix with fork until everything is somewhat combined. Cover (I use plastic bag) and leave on counter
- @ 5pm, The bread has gone through it's "autolyse" stage. Start stretching and folding bread into the middle until it feels somewhat firm
- Every hour or so until bed, keep stretching and folding.
- At whenever bed time is, cover and leave over night. In the summer, I leave by the window to try and avoid over-proofing
- In the morning (early as possible if hot), turn out onto a kitchen counter. Shape it, put it into a proofing basket, then pop it into the fridge for a few hours to a few days
- Prepeat oven to 450f (230c), sprinke white rice flour over bread as a means to stop it to sticking to things, place into heavy pot with lid on to capture steam
- Bake for 50 minutes with lid on
- Further 5 minutes with lid off to brown top.
- Remove from oven, let sit for an hour before carving
I like to mix up some whole wheat flour in at times. We've had good success up to 20% of the bread flour substituded for others